Thursday, August 5, 2010

James' Place

Yesterday (Wednesday, August 4, 2010), we went to James' Place, a cozy little wine bar in Aurora, OH and tried the following wines:

1. 2008 Jessie's Grove Zinfandel Earth Zin & Fire
2. 2002 Mercurey Pinot Noir (Bourgogne / Burgundy)

While the Zin came in an interesting bottle, very creative label, the wine was so so. My comment could be attributed to my lack of experience with this varietal. I am not into Zins - do not like the aroma or the taste. At least not yet.

Even though I was done with Pinots for now, how did I end up with another burgundy? I initially ordered an Alsace from the wine list but they did not have it. Then I ordered a Rhone and they did not have it either. Tired of rejections, I asked the bartender to bring me whatever he fancied and he brought me the burgundy even though he had heard the story of my failed experiment with Pinots. I am still wondering why I left him a hefty tip. May be I had a little bit too much fun with wines.

So, what did I think of this burgundy? Still not there with Pinots - did not enjoy the aroma or the taste. This time I am seriously done with Pinots for a while. Even an inattentive bartender will not be able to sell me another bottle of Pinot for a while.

To clear my palette, I finally ordered a glass of some cabernet - can't remember the label. Yes, I was in the zone. Obviously, I have no further comments on the cabernet.

No comments:

Post a Comment