Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Circular Dining Room @ Hotel Hershey, Hershey, PA

Last week, we took our soon to Hershey Park for his Summer Vacation. After two days of Roller Coaster fun at the Park and Hershey Chocolate World, we sat down for a nice, fancy dinner at the Circular Dining Room in Hotel Hershey. Its an upscale restaurant with great ambiance, courteous and very attentive service and great food. Surprisingly, the prices are quite affordable. The resident sommelier, Raymond, who manages a wine cellar with about 7,000 bottles of wine, recommended that we try Gigondas. The sommelier explained that Gigondas wines are typically a blend of Syrah, Grenache and Mourvedre varietals, all grown in Southern Rhone Valley in France. So we tried the 2007 Les Trois Couronnes Gigondas. It was being offered at $62 for the bottle at the restaurant; quite a deal when my "GetMeVino! Lite" app on my Palm Pre is showing a retail price of $30. The wine was rich, full bodied red with great aroma and quite smooth on the palette. Wifey had only half a glass; I drank the rest and rest is history.

I still think that the other Syrah - Grenache blend that I had last year was better. Paul Jaboulet Aine Parallele 45 Cotes du Rhone. That reminds me that I still have one bottle left.

No comments:

Post a Comment